Whether you’re ready to order chicks today or you’re still trying to decide if you have what it takes, come join me on the farm for this incredible opportunity to learn what you need to know and to see first-hand what it takes to raise, house, and care for a backyard flock.
Out of stock
“Unless you try to do something beyond that which you have already mastered, you will never grow.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
They say chickens are the gateway drug to homesteading. You’ll start with a few hens this year and sooner than you know it, you’ll be making all your own bread, growing a jungle of a garden, canning to beat the band, and keeping a family cow. They’re not wrong. (chuckle)
If you’re ready to learn what it takes to begin your own journey to increased food security and self-sufficiency, this class, in preparation for your own backyard flock, is the perfect place to start.
I’m a big believer in the mantra “Everything is figure-out-able.” But boy, it sure makes a difference if you can learn first hand from someone who’s already figured it out! I’m here to help take the overwhelm out of the entire process and empower you to get started today.
I’ll walk you through each step of this new adventure of raising your own laying hens: from choosing the right breed for your needs, to raising chicks, optimal nutrition, and common health ailments.
In this class you will learn:
- To make a plan: the differences in chicken breeds and how to determine what will work for your needs and infrastructure
- To prepare well: assessing what you have and how to use it to create adequate shelter & source equipment
- To feed right: determining what and how much to feed your hens, and how to meet their nutritional needs at different life stages
- To be resourceful: making your chickens work for you to reduce waste and increase fertility on the homestead
- To steward well: assessing and treating common poultry ailments
- To pace yourself: making the chicken life sustainable & enjoyable
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Take an in-depth tour of our poultry infrastructure – from brooder boxes to mobile tractors and winter coops and see how we integrate poultry into our regenerative farming practices in sustainable and manageable ways
- Ask all the questions about all the things
- Build relationships and find mentors to coach and encourage you on your homesteading journey
You’ll be equipped – and empowered – with the knowledge, training, and mentorship you need to start your backyard flock off on the right foot.
When I was in the beginnings of making all this happen here on our farm, I visited a friend’s farm, saw how they made things work, saw where they made do and where they made investments, and came away empowered thinking “I can totally do this.” And by golly, I went home and did it. I want that same experience for you.
Come and see. Come and learn. Be empowered to then go and do.
Let this class be the beginning of your journey into homesteading, regenerative farming, enhanced food security, and increased self-sufficiency.
Come connect with your farmer, learn new skills, expand your knowledge, increase your confidence, and mingle with like-minded folks also committed to the principles of wholesome home-grown food and traditional old-fashioned skills.
Class Fee: $100 per person; includes 2-3 hours of workshop & instruction, an ask-all-the-questions tour of our poultry operation, an indepth workbook with all the information and resources you’ll need, and all the umph and confidence you need to make it happen.