If you’re new to canning, and/or feeling a little intimidated by the whole process, making jam is the perfect place to start. We’ll make fresh, in-season strawberry jam together so you can go home and confidently can batch after batch of delicious preserves!
Out of stock
Waterbath canning is the safe and simple process of preserving peak-season flavors and nutrients and allows you to stock your pantry with homegrown, shelf-stable foods and made-from-scratch goodness.
If you want to learn the skills to safely preserve summer harvests, increase your food security, reduce your food waste, and become more self-reliant, truly making the most of the best you’ve got, becoming familiar and comfortable with water bath canning is a giant leap closer to meeting each of those goals.
In this class you will learn:
- Essential water bath canning principles & techniques
- All about the equipment you need & how to use it
- To prepare fruit for jam-making
- How to use pectin & when to do without
- To properly identify the gel stage (to know when the jam is jammy enough!)
- To source & vet approved canning recipes
- To appropriately manage food safety while canning
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Tour (and taste!) my pantry for inspiration
- Ask all the questions about all the things
- Take home a jar of the jam we’ve preserved together
You’ll be equipped – and empowered – with the knowledge, training, and practice you need to enhance your food security, expand your self-sufficiency, and up-level your journey into home canning and preserving.
Come connect with your farmer, learn new skills, mingle with like-minded people committed to wholesome food, and come away with an increased appreciation for nutrient-dense shelf-stable ingredients to feed your family all winter long.
Class Fee: $65 per person; includes 2+ hours of workshop & instruction, a tour and tasting of our home-canned goods pantry, an in-depth workbook of recipes and techniques to take home for your reference, and a jar of the jam you’ve made yourself!
July 8th 10am-12pm