Apples are one of the simplest harvests to preserve and the possibilities are endless! In this class, we’ll revisit the basic principles of water bath canning as we make and can applesauce, apple pie filling, and apple butter.
Out of stock
Preserving the harvest is an age-old custom, the skills passed down generation to generation, to ensure food security in times of scarcity and bountiful nutrition even in the depths of winter.
If you’re relatively new to canning and preserving, apples are the perfect place to begin. They are abundant, easy to work with, and are so versatile! This is the perfect class for the beginner canner.
However, because we’ll also be working with Clear Jel (apple pie filling) and learning no-pectin jam techniques (apple butter), this is also an excellent class for the intermediate canner who wants to learn new skills.
Waterbath canning is the safe and simple process of preserving peak-season flavors and nutrients and allows you to stock your pantry with homegrown, shelf-stable foods and made-from-scratch goodness.
If you want to learn the skills to safely preserve summer harvests, increase your food security, reduce your food waste, and become more self-reliant, truly making the most of the best you’ve got, becoming familiar and comfortable with water bath canning is a giant leap closer to meeting each of those goals.
In this class you will learn:
- Essential water bath canning principles & techniques
- All about the equipment you need & how to use it
- To select the right variety of apples for canning & preserving
- To prepare apples for a variety of different shelf-stable preserves including applesauce, apple pie filling, and apple butter
- To source & vet approved canning recipes
- To appropriately manage food safety while canning
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Tour (and taste!) my pantry for inspiration
- Take home several recipes to put your canned apples to use!
- Ask all the questions about all the things
- Take home a jar of the apple preserves we’ve made together
You’ll be equipped – and empowered – with the knowledge, training, and practice you need to enhance your food security, expand your self-sufficiency, and up-level your journey into home canning and preserving.
Come connect with your farmer, learn new skills, mingle with like-minded people committed to wholesome food, and come away with an increased appreciation for nutrient-dense shelf-stable ingredients to feed your family all winter long.
Class Fee: $65 per person; includes 2+ hours of workshop & instruction, a tour and tasting of our home-canned goods pantry, an in-depth workbook of recipes and techniques to take home for your reference, and a jar of each of the apple preserves you’ve made yourself!