Tomatoes are a high-acid food and can be easily canned in a variety of ways using simple water bath canning methods. In this class, you’ll learn to preserve your tomato harvest in four essential formats: whole, diced, paste, and sauce so you can go home and confidently preserve a variety of shelf-stable tomatoes to stock your pantry and feed your family all year long.
Out of stock
Here in Ohio, tomatoes are easy to grow and abundant!
I always can tomatoes in at least four different ways each year: whole, diced, paste, and sauce. This gives me the most variety of meals that I can prepare from my pantry for my family all year long.
From pasta sauces, chilis, and stews to braised beef tacos, lasagna, and tomato soup, the tomatoes I preserve every year are hard-working pantry staples that I couldn’t do without.
Come join me in my kitchen and I will teach you everything you need to know to feel confident and ready to go home and stock your own pantry with all the tomatoes you’ll need for the year to come.
Because tomatoes are so versatile and the canning process relatively simple, this is the perfect class for the beginner canner.
You will learn:
- Essential water bath canning principles & techniques
- All about the equipment you need & how to use it
- To prepare & properly preserve four varieties of shelf-stable tomatoes
- To appropriately manage food safety while canning
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Where and how to source great deals locally on bulk tomatoes (if you don’t yet have a garden of your own!)
- Tour (and taste!) my pantry and gather ideas of what to can to feed your own family
- Ask all the questions about all the things
- Take home a jar of each of the tomato varieties we’ve preserved together
You’ll be equipped – and empowered – with the knowledge, training, and practice you need to enhance your food security, expand your self-sufficiency, and up-level your journey into home canning and preserving.
Come connect with your farmer, learn new skills, mingle with like-minded people committed to wholesome food, and come away with an increased appreciation for nutrient-dense shelf-stable ingredients to feed your family all winter long.
Class Fee: $65 per person; includes 2+ hours of workshop & instruction, a tour and tasting of our home-canned goods pantry, a hefty in-depth workbook of recipes and techniques to take home, and a sample jar of each of the tomato varieties we’ve preserved together.
August 23rd 10am-2pm